Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Embattled Republicans

In a follow up to my post on the tribulations of the Republican Party, the Wall Street Journal Friday chronicles more of that party's woes for the upcoming elections. From the article "Republicans Running Uphill" it seems that Democrat National Committee is outpacing its Republican counterpart for campaign contributions, including from large corporate donors. This at a time when Republicans have more seats to defend than they would need to recapture the house.

I find this whole situation, though not ideal, satisfying. I'm not a fan of the Democrats, but the Republicans are hardly defenders of my principles, namely laissez faire capitalism. And until the social conservative faction no longer dominates the party, it might just do the trick to see them out of power.

2 comments:

Galileo Blogs said...

"And until the social conservative faction no longer dominates the party, it might just do the trick to see them out of power."

I couldn't agree more. I am especially pleased when I see media articles pointing to dissatisfaction with the "religous Right" or "social conservatives" as a cause of the Republican Party's troubles. I also see articles about the Republicans' Big Government fiscal irresponsiblity as a cause.

If both these things are causing the Republican melancholy, it is a good thing, since both reasons are correct and why I have not voted for a Republican in quite some time.

Kendall J said...

GB, thanks for your comment. It took me a while to come to the position that you now hold, that even though Democrats don't represent my interests, the Republicans cannot be relied on to defend them, not given the social conservative agenda.

It's bitter medicine to swallow, but its part of living by principles I think.