Tuesday, January 05, 2010

2010 Goals

It is that time of year again; the time when I put together my objectives for 2010. Looking back at last year’s goals I am quite pleased with my accomplishments. Although I didn’t complete everything on last year’s list (most notably getting published, and titling Moxie) I am still happy with the way I ended the year. I experienced a significant unplanned life event in the form of my move to Philly and a new job, and my while I only competed in one duathlon this year, I shredded it, turning in a personal best after only 8 weeks of training to prepare.

This year’s goal list is a bit shorter. I have a set of professional goals, but I don’t list them here, and this is a pretty pivotal year for my career. So I expect that my priority will be there and my personal goals less so. However, there are still a few pretty aggressive goals here, and a few that excite me as well. Without further adieu.

  1. Fitness – compete in a road triathlon, an off-road tri/du and one marathon. While it may sound similar to last year’s goal, this goal implies that I’m going to improve my swimming, get my MTB riding to the point where I can race, and put some serious time into running. All new activities that I’ve not focused on before.
  2. Reading – Read 1 book per month for a total of 12. I had this goal from last year, but the reality it I only hit about 6 or 7. Maybe the choice to bite off Anna Karenina mid-year did me in.
  3. Writing – publish 1 TOS article. Another repeat, but this one is really important to me. I’m going to focus less on blogging this year, although I need to get Simply Capitalism back on its feet. Also I’m going to finish that short story I’ve been working on for the last year or so.
  4. Dmitri – try to bring Dmitri out to Philly at least 3 times during the year. My step son is back in Michigan and seeing him is important to me. This is a critical must do goal.

I have a few items in the new activity area.

  1. Get certified to charter a large sailboat. I’ve been sailing since I was a kid, and I’ve sailed on big boats as well, but never learned enough to charter sail. Since I’m not living near the ocean and sailing schools, this is the perfect opportunity to complete something I’ve always wanted to do. Of course this means that there is a charter vacation in my plans sometime next winter. Anyone want to join me for a week in the British Virgin Islands for a week aboard my boat?
  2. Learn to surf. Something else I’ve wanted to do. I used to windsurf extensively, and again living so close to the Jersey shore means that surfing is readily available.
  3. Become more competent at drawing.  Part of a longer term goal to eventually learn to do some painting, I want to get my drawing skills improved. Several places convenient in the city where I can do this.

That’s it. With my professional goals as well, this will keep me quite occupied for 2010. What are some of your goals?

5 comments:

Burgess Laughlin said...

> "What are some of your goals?"

I will respond indirectly. One thing I have learned in 65 years of living is that I can simplify my life-planning by identifying my highest values -- and keep that list down to three or four items.

My highest personal values are: my central purpose in life (the work I love); my friendships; and my favorite leisure activity ("roving," in the forms of walking and reading adventuresome stories).

(There is a fourth category: necessities, such as finances, health, and so forth. However, those are must-do rather than want-to-do, and are therefore not as exciting.)

My goals flow naturally from each of those three highest values. For example, for my CPL, I aim to complete my current long-term project, which is in its very last stage. (I won't be in a position to discuss it for several more months.) Dove tailing with that, I am starting my next long-term project; the first step is my weblog, The Main Event. In turn, to develop that weblog, I will write a series of posts. To write each post, I will need to . . . and so on, the hierarchy of values and actions becomes more and more detailed.

The point is one I learned from Ayn Rand and Leonard Peikoff: Integration is a sign of objectivity. One form of integration is looking for the one in the many. Thirty years ago I had a long, long list of things to do. Now I can think in a few categories, and life is much simpler.

Kendall J said...

Thanks Burgess, that's a great point about making sure that goals align with your overall value heirarchy. I probably should have mentioned it. That alignment is one of the key benefits of writing goals in the first place. When I write goals for work one of the restrictions is that the goal must align with the published strategy for the business as a whole and the same should be true of personal goals. Thanks for pointing out that concept!

Stella Zawistowski said...

RE: the drawing, years ago (when I was in high school), I took summer classes at the University of the Arts on Broad Street and the instruction was excellent. I took drawing, painting, and sculpture -- I knew something about drawing going in but zero about painting and sculpture, and I came out as a much better draftsman (draftswoman?) with at least a rudimentary grasp of painting and sculpture. Sadly, their life drawing class is the same night as the SARPO lectures, but I'd definitely recommend it for future reference.

http://cs.uarts.edu/pdfs/CE%20Spring10_brochure.pdf

Kendall J said...

Thanks Stell!

I actually have an art school a few blocks away from me, whose convenience is too tempting to pass

http://www.fleisher.org/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharring importent information in this blog.
It was very nice.
Aşk flashları,yazılı soruları'new generation portal.